Admission to Penn State is competitive. The Office of Admissions considers the following criteria in granting freshman admission:
- Final grades in all subject areas for years nine, ten, and eleven of high school, if you are currently a high school senior
- Class rank (weighted average is used for students who have taken AP/Honors courses)
- Required Carnegie (high school) units
- Standardized test scores: SAT or ACT (component not required)
Approximately two-thirds of our evaluation is based on high school grades, and one-third on standardized test scores. The evaluation may also include a review of the personal statement and list of extracurricular activities that you may submit with the application.
First-Year Student Application Timeline
Penn State strongly recommends that applications for freshman admission be submitted by November 30 of the student's senior year of high school. Applications will be accepted after that date, but as admission criteria rise throughout the academic year, it may become more difficult to gain acceptance to your first choice academic college or campus location. Additionally, applying by November 30 provides full scholarship consideration and access to an early financial aid estimate. Penn State does not employ an early decision program in its admission process.
Admissions Notification Timeline
If your complete application(including SAT or ACT scores, application fee, and official high school transcripts) were received by:
- NOVEMBER 30- your anticipated notification date should be: no later than January 31
- DECEMBER 31- your anticipated notification date should be: no later than February 28
- JANUARY 1- your anticipated notification date should be: after March 1
*Dates shown would be during a students' senior year of high school
Schedule Your Visit
The Admissions Office is open from 8 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Tuesday through Thursday and 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Monday and Friday.
The Pennsylvania State University encourages qualified persons with disabilities to participate in its programs and activities. If you anticipate needing any type of accommodation or have questions about the physical access provided, please contact Jammie Clark at 724-983-2838 in advance of your participation or visit.