Student Activity Fee (SAF)
There is a modest fee that the University assesses students each semester of enrollment (the amount differs by number of credits scheduled). These fees are directed towards a pool of funds referred to as "Student Activity Fees" (SAF). Anyone from the campus community including students, as part of an organized club or as individuals, are are welcome to submit requests to underwrite expenses associated with a special project, a planned trip, etc. A committee comprised of students, as well as one faculty and one staff member, review all proposals and choose which will be of greatest benefit to the student body. The purpose of the Student Activity Fee is to provide funds to improve the co-curricular environment for undergraduate students.
Information Technology Fee (IT Fee)
The Information Technology Fee (IT Fee) funds a wide-range of student technology services such as campus computer labs, technology classrooms, computer networks, cable television, the IT Help Desk and Media Commons. The IT Fee also pays for printing in computer labs, the campus message board (Blue Screen), videoconferencing facilities and the wireless network. Other University-wide services, like library services and web-based training modules are also funded using this fee. See Greg Singer in the IT Office, Sharon Hall 202, for questions about the IT Fee Committee.
Student Facilities Fee (SFF)
With the goal of enhancing the student experience, facilities fees are to be used to fund improvements and expansions to non-academic, recreational and multi-use space for students. A committee made up of students, the SGA President, the Director of Student Afffairs, Director of Development, Director of Business Services, and the Facilities Supervisor review all proposals and choose which will be of greatest benefit to the student body.
- The Facilities Fee will not be used to support ongoing operational costs associated with any project.
- The Facilities Fee will not be used to pay debt service.
- The Facilities Fee will not be used to pay for rental agreements.
- Monies raised from the Facilities Fee at a particular location will be used at that location.
- Monies not used in a particular year will be carried over from year to year for use when enough funds are generated to complete an approved project. Interest will be credited (using the University's short term rate) on an annual basis to any unused funds.
- New facilities or modifications to current facilities will be consistent with the campus' strategic and master physical facilities plans.
For more information about how to serve on one of the fee boards listed above, please stop in the Student Affairs Office in Sharon Hall 103.
What has been funded by these fees?
Examples of items that have been funded through these various fees include:
Student Activity Fee
- Buhl Club passes (daily passes available throughout the year)
- Student planners
- Movie tickets
- Tshirts (for events like orientation, Back to School Bash, and Pre Exam Jam)
- Trips (SAF pays for a portion of the trip and the student pays for the remaining portion): NYC, plays/theater trips each semester, Pittsburgh Pirates games, All U Day football game, Cedar Point, Leadership Conferences and Retreats, MLK Day of Service, Splash Lagoon, white water rafting, Ghost Lake, Kennywood, Bodies Exhibit
- Food for events: Welcome Week, Back to School Bash, Pre Exam Jam, corn hole tournament, pizza and politics, meeting with campus director, Day of the Dead, Tech and Career Expo, Nursing School Open House and Graduate School Fair, Diversity series, Fitness Center Open House, Family Day, Etiquette Lunch/Dinner
- Entertainment: Most common hour performers (musicians, bands, comedians, poets, speakers, etc.) and novelty programs, Family Day performers, Shenango Cup Challenge activities and prizes
- Furniture: Forker Lab/Science Building lobby, Forker Lab student lounge, Game Room, Chadderton Lab lobby
- Equipment: Purchase of new cardio equipment for Fitness Center (treadmills, bikes, elliptical); Purchase of new fitness equipment (plyometric training platforms, kettle bells, heavy bag, box steps): XBox for Game Room (games, controllers, security case, tv stand); Microwave for Forker Lab student lounge; Window boxes; Compostable serve ware and composting bags; Podium for Auditorium
- Other: Design for Auditorium lighting, the Smoking Shelter with table inside, and compostable serve ware