The Associate in Science in Human Development and Family Studies (HDFS) integrates practical and academic experiences to provide you with entry-level, professional competencies in the human service fields.
The program's ultimate goal is to improve the quality of planned services for families from varied backgrounds and community settings. For both options, HDFS students complete an internship at a human service organization in their community.
Real world experience will help you build professional networks, establish references, and reflect on what you have learned in the classroom.
What to expect
At the Shenango campus, we offer two HDFS A.S. options:
- Adult Development and Aging Services
- Children, Youth, and Family Services
Adult Development and Aging Services option
The Adult Development and Aging Services option focuses on the biological, psychological, and social development of adults and elderly persons, with special emphasis on the various contexts of adult development, including work and the family.
This option is designed to prepare students for a wide variety of service roles in:
- Mental health facilities
- Nursing homes and other institutions for the aged
- Area agencies on aging
- Public welfare and family service agencies
- Women's resource centers
- Human relations programs
- Employee assistance programs and customer services and consumer relations programs in business and industry
An approved field experience in any of a wide variety of settings that serve adults, the aged, and their families, is required for this option.
Children, Youth, and Family Services option
The Children, Youth, and Family Services option is an ideal choice if you want to work with various age groups in centers, institutions, and agencies.
This option is designed to prepare students for service roles in:
- Day care centers
- Institutional and community programs for emotionally disturbed, abused, or neglected children and adolescents
- A variety of public welfare and family service agencies
An approved field experience in a children, youth, or family services setting is required for this option.
You might like this program if...
- You already work in a human service–related field
- You aspire to work in human service–related occupations