This contingency management plan describes the methods and procedures to be used by Penn State Shenango in order to safeguard and restore data center operations, in the event of a disaster.
Specific Policy Guidelines
- Incremental backups are performed on a nightly basis on administrative servers.
- Full backups are performed on a weekly basis on administrative servers.
- Backup procedures are to be automated as much as possible so that another IT staff member can perform the backups when necessary.
- Each backup procedure will generate a log file, which can be inspected on a daily basis to determine the success or failure of the backup.
- There will be a primary and backup staff member assigned to perform the system backups for each system. Both the primary and backup staff member will inspect the backup log on a daily basis to verify the success of the backup and troubleshoot hardware and/or software problem related to the backup procedures.
- A short written log of each backup performed will also be maintained in the computer room to provide rapid access to tape information.
- Daily incremental data backup occurs every night at 11:00 pm. This backup is located at University Park, and is part of the University Backup for Infrastructure (UBI) service. The Office of Enterprise Information Technology (EIT) then creates an on premise and off-site backup of this data.
- Weekly backup tapes consist of tapes A, B, and C. These tapes are rotated every Friday. This gives the Administrator the ability to retrieve data as far back as three weeks at any given time. The tapes are stored in a secured room on campus to provide rapid access for restores. Only the IT staff and security can access this room.
User Backup Responsibilities
- Users are responsible for backing up data on their workstations. This can be done by saving to a flash drive, CD/DVD, the local network drive, Box online storage or Microsoft OneDrive online storage. If you need assistance backing up files please contact the IT office at 724-983-2932 or [email protected].
- All administrative servers are powered by an Uninterruptible Power System (UPS) which can maintain full power to all equipment for approximately 45 minutes. If the server senses that the battery power has been depleted, it will initiate a shut down sequence to insure no data is lost.
- Users that need to recover lost data must contact the IT office, 724-983-2932, and give the name of the file, the date it was last modified, and the location of where the file was stored.