It's time to start your next chapter
In today's rapidly changing and competitive marketplace, education is truly a life-long endeavor. That's why adult students are enrolling in colleges and universities in record numbers.
At Penn State Shenango, you get the quality education employers demand and the individual attention you deserve.
Penn State defines an adult student as those who are one or multiple of the following:
- 24 years of age or older
- A veteran or actively serving member of the armed services
- Returning to school after four or more years of employment, homemaking, or other activity
- Assuming multiple adult roles, such as parent, spouse/partner, or employee
If you have attempted 18 or more credits at an accredited institution of higher education, please also see information for transfer students.
What to expect as an adult student
Adult students often enter the college environment feeling anxious and uncertain about their ability to succeed, however, current research says that adult students are typically more successful than younger students because of the maturity and experience they bring to the classroom.
Adults are most likely to exhibit high levels of motivation, more specific career goals, and an uncompromising desire to get the best, most effective education possible.
As an adult learner at Penn State Shenango, you'll have unlimited support and opportunities. You can:
- Get professional guidance and support all along the way.
- Receive special admissions consideration regarding standardized test scores and high school grade-point average (GPA).
- Take advantage of a variety of scheduling options, including enrolling part- or full-time while participating in day and/or evening classes; completing a program at your workplace; or studying at home through online courses.
- Interact with a diverse community of students, faculty, and staff.
- Accumulate college credits that are transferable to other learning institutions.
- Earn a certificate or degree that is respected worldwide.
How to apply
- Create a MyPennState profile.
- Fill out the application in your MyPennState profile. Have a copy of your high school transcripts to fill out the Self-Reported Academic Record. Review Penn State's Self-Reported Academic Record tutorial for additional help.
- Review your MyPennState checklist for prompts to ensure all required supporting materials have been received. These may include: official final high school transcripts, a GED score report, or SAT (code #2660) or ACT (code #3656) scores. These may be emailed, mailed, or faxed to our Admissions office. Once all materials have been received, your application will be considered complete.
Address: Penn State Shenango Admissions, 225 Lecture Hall, 147 Shenango Avenue, Sharon, PA, 16146
Email: [email protected]
- After receiving your offer of admission, pay the $230 registration fee to save your spot. Congratulations! You’re officially a Penn Stater. Review our information for accepted students and watch your email for next steps.
First-year student admission requirements
Generally speaking, most majors at Penn State Shenango require:
- English: 4 units
- Social studies, arts, or humanities: 3 units
- Science: 3 units
- Math: 3 units of algebra (algebra 1 and 2 at minimum) and geometry
- Most business and science majors also require an additional half unit of trigonometry, pre-calculus, or calculus
- World language: 2 units
Review more information about admission requirements >
Visit Penn State Shenango
Check out our selection of open houses, application workshops, and personalized visits to discover why Penn State Shenango is the perfect place for you.